Many parents are aware their kids are spending too much time indoors using electronic devices. A recent study by the Kaiser Family Foundation found that the average eight to eighteen year old spends 7 hours and 38 minutes of electronic screen time per day.
Let’s go outside! Outdoor play time helps to balance a child’s day and provide mental and physical health benefits. Did you know that most experts agree that 4-6 hours of playing outside each day is optimal for child health?
Here are 25 fun ideas to get you going!
- Ride your bike
- Visit all the public parks in the valley
- Street hockey
- Join a nature hike at Wasatch State Park
- Swim at the lake
- Build sand castles at Jordanelle or Deer Creek
- Take Fido to the dog park or offer to walk your neighbors dog
- Clean up the river banks
- Grow a garden
- Try stargazing
- Take bread to the duck pond at Wasatch State Park
- Visit the Market on Main in Heber or the Midway Farmer’s Market
- Play pickleball or tennis at one of the Wasatch County Recreation courts
- Learn to fish
- Make a lemonade stand
- Get artsy, and create sidewalk chalk art
- Paint in nature
- Try geocaching
- Visit each of the area’s lakes and reservoirs
- Drive to the Uintah Mountains and walk around Mirror Lake
- Hop on a scenic train ride. Did you know Monday night is family night?
- Visit the friendly animals at Rundown Ranch
- Gather up the neighbors for a game of Capture the Flag or Kick the Can
- Grill outdoors
- Discover outdoor picnic spots